God has just the same problem, you know, he was only going on about it to me this morning, as we watched the repeat of 'Match of the Day'.

On 28 February 2010 11:15, Jim Andrews <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
X is art.

'X is art', as proposition, is like 'This proposition is not provable', the classic example of an undecidable proposition.

An undecidable proposition is one which cannot be false so must be true, but is unprovably true.

If you say 'X is art' is false, you never sound convincing.

Humor me, then, that the proposition cannot be false.

If it had to be true or false, then it would have to be true.

Yet nor are arguments that 'X is art' very interesting or convincing, either.

They are predicated on definitions of art that always sound incomplete and angling toward some ungodly canon.

Humor me, then, that 'X is art' is true but unprovably true.

What we talk about when we talk about art...

ja
http://vispo.com

--
David Bircumshaw