From: Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Response to my criticisms of Armitage's poetry
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, February 22, 2010, 1:05 PM

I don't see that any Mogul's use of a poem or song suggests or shows anything about it whatsoever.  Do we think we can tie up both liminal and subliminal consumption so that a text would be cast-iron protected against adoption by any political agency we happen not to like? Wouldn't that be one of the most boring texts ever written? Shakespeare's texts have been used for every rotten purpose under the sun.
In some parts of the British academy the advanced study of poetry is devoted exclusively to this kind of undermining of an author's credibility: attention is focussed exclusively on a presumed undertext, and I think authors have a perfect right to be resentful of this pseudo-psychoanalytic intervention into their intentions and their ethos, as much as to the use of their poems by Tesco or whoever, in both cases "for purposes for which the product was not intended".
It's surely no use unless you can be absolutely specific as to exactly what is there that lends the text to abuses. It's no use talking about somethings. We need to know what they are, how they are there, how they work, rather than a subjective apprehension of mistrust back-read from Bush. In other words you need a linguistic psychology, and as far as I can see there isn't one, just a naïve assumption that if very-nasty-people wave a flag there must be something wrong with the textile of which it's made.
How, then, would we feel about the Marseillaise? "We will chop our enemies to bits..." etc. where an aggression very clearly is there on the surface? If we like France in some way, must we then assume that contrary, benign things must be there underneath?
Myself, I think the so-called surface is the only part that matters.
The USA is an amazing place, geographically, logistically, demotically and in many other ways. I'm sure Whitman must have been used for very dubious purposes many times, but he's still there, and can be defended against it all, and I'm sure if I were an American writer I'd want to shout USA-songs in some way or other.
Pr