From: Sean Bonney <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Response to my criticisms of Armitage's poetry
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, February 22, 2010, 9:42 AM

yes. Springsteen was annoyed about that, understandably. and then there was Stalin's use of Mayakovsky.

but are these 'misreadings', or just the cynical use of elements that are there, no matter how unconsciously on the part of the author? whatever the actual lyrics of Springsteen's song, the punching-the-air triumphalism of the chorus easily lends itself to the manipulation of patriotism that a Reagan, or a Bush, needs in order to survive.

would it be possible to make a political poem, song, artwork that was completely un-usable by its enemies? as in Benjamin's claim that his art-work essay was 'useless for the purposes of fascism'. is anything unrecuperable?

http://abandonedbuildings.blogspot.com/