Hi Jeff / yeh, I agree. I don't think such readings are limited to poetry,
either. Over the last few days I've been fascinated by film-maker Harry
Smith's reading of Brecht's Mahagonny, where he draws out all kinds of
cabbalistic meanings based on the structure of the play: meanings that make
complete sense, but are probably very far from Brecht's own intentions. Or,
first time I read Capital, I found it almost impossible to understand,
because I don't really get economics. So I read it as a huge experimental
zombie novel, which worked.

My problem with your insistence on 'free associative' readings in poetry,
then, isn't because I think its particularly outlandish, but because it
seems that for you the ease with which such readings are available is your
only criteria for defining a poem. Thats just as reductive as those people
who, staggeringly, still think a poem has to "rhyme". I think its very
dangerous to glibly say things aren't poems, just because you don't like them.

Sean