From: Peter Riley <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 February, 2010 9:53:01
Subject: Re: Provocative Amazon customer review of Keith Tuma's Anthology of Twentieth-Century British and Irish Poetry

JHP circulated a letter to a senior editor at OUP (NY) at the time, explaining his reasons for not wishing to be in the anthology. He spoke first of his dislike of educational anthologies as such, "because of the enrollment of a poet's work into a teaching apparatus" [i.e., a programmed presentation]  which "must interfere with a vital aspect of personally free reading and discovery...."    He went on:

"But overriding each and every such consideration in this case is the aspect that this book is to be published by Oxford University Press. I know very well that the American branch of this imprint is virtually an independent operation, but it carries and trades under an illustrious name. That name must now in the field of contemporary British poetry and its publication by considered infamous."....

PR