Jeff,
   I'm not sure why what I've written should seem " mostly technical points"
or exactly what it would mean if they were.
   Surely technique, in which sound-effects play a large part, should be
relevant in describing why it's a poem rather than "perhaps, good prose
fiction" as you call it. I've also mentioned a complex of imagery that is
tightly worked, and to spell out a bit more what I called the vaporous
elements in the poem, the 'st' sounds which begin with "missed" (homophone
'mist'), which leads to 'steam' in the next line, then is heard again in
just, dust, lipstick, lost, upstairs, understanding, lipstick, stowed...just
to take one thread of sound through the poem (and there are others) -
suggest to me that Armitage has, even at this very early stage of his
writing an acoustic sense that can be a central part of the way we hear a
whole  poem - rather than a mere technical point, or even as "the measure of
poetic accomplishment" which you bring out of nowhere. What I'd argue is
that these are effects, including the rhythmic ones which (I agree with
Robin) are a marked and positive aspect of Armitage's work, that make a flat
paraphrase an utterly insufficient means of describing (and intentionally
negating) the poem. This poem or any other. It seems to me that your
obsessive concentration on 'empirical markers' means you ignore a whole
range of other features integral to a poem.
  (Your Jacket article makes it clear, as I'd guessed all along, that your
zealotry on behalf of this term "empirical" is deeply indebted to Easthope,
in particular to his dim and philistine reading of Edward Thomas's
'Aldlestrop'. But perhaps we oughtn't to get into that again.)
Jamie