Ah, but anything could come out of his mouth!

At 04:12 PM 2/21/2010, you wrote:
><<
>There's often a very large audience, composed of university and
>town, and that might be something to value.
>
>Not just that, Jamie, but even us poor plebs who finally get to read
>the lectures in book form.
>
>Which is why I'd be delighted with either Prynne or Anne Stevenson,
>since neither have, to my knowledge, expressed themselves in the
>form demanded by the Oxford Lectures -- lengthy, coherent, regular, etc.
>
>Which is why I wouldn't vote for Geoffrey Hill (if I had a vote,
>which I don't), because he doesn't need the bully-platform aspect of
>the Oxford Chair.  Though in terms of eminence, poetic achievement,
>etc., thoroughly worthy.
>
>But why not a Scot?  Tom Leonard, now there's an idea.  He might
>even deign to lecture in English ...
>
>Robin

Announcing The Whole Island: Six Decades of Cuban Poetry (University
of California Press).
http://go.ucpress.edu/WholeIsland

"Not since the 1982 publication of Paul Auster's Random House Book of
Twentieth Century French Poetry has a bilingual anthology so
effectively broadened the sense of poetic terrain outside the United
States and also created a superb collection of foreign poems in
English. There is nothing else like it."   John Palattella in The
Nation