From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeremy Linskell
Sent: 02 February 2010 13:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Door Operators

Hi Ann

General:

Firstly and probably most importantly, buying cheap automatic door openers is a false economy. Secondly and in relation to this, budgetary allowances for ongoing maintenance/service support. Thirdly make budgetary allowance for power backup in case of mains failure – identify the safety critical doorways (which in reality is probably all of them). Fourthly make sure that the doors have appropriate safety features installed. If you can afford them, you want openers that allow the door to be pushed/pulled/crashed without ‘throwing a wobbly’; these systems are generally door closers augmented with motors and tend to be at the expensive end of the market, but are worth investing in if you can.

External doors:

It sounds like you are talking about a block of flats, so make sure that your communal door entry system can be interfaced to from each flat independently. Most systems don’t allow this but some provide a proprietary interface board for such purposes. The communal entrance is normally the one that is forgotten about, regarding the special needs aspects, until it’s too late. This might prove the trickiest bit to get right. Make sure you have a spec for it that also meets the needs of the potential clients. You probably need a system that can manage visitors from the outside and internal visitors as well, so it needs thinking through.

Internal doors:

Definitely a good idea to have IR receivers connected to each door so that any EC controller can access them. RF has a place but be careful that you don’t end up with a system that requires the client to carry a hatful of fobs (most openers can handle having both an IR and RF interface attached). Also think about whether you want automatic opening and if so how; PIR sensors can be annoying if not set up properly; IR beams can be good if the design suits; and, pressure mats may be an option. I would also suggest that it is important to have an easy method of toggling automatic opening mode.

Above all, make sure that the architect has good experience in this area of design and if not, make sure he gets good, independent advice. Hope this helps

Cheers

Jeremy

Jeremy Linskell CEng, CSci, MIPEM

Principal Clinical Scientist

Electronic Assistive Technology Service

Ninewells Hospital

NHS Tayside

tel: 01382-496286

fax:01382-496322

Editorial Board Member of Journal of Assistive Technologies

http://pierprofessional.metapress.com/content/121393