Dear Lena,

I agree with Johannes. These look like specimens that I see here in the
eastern U.S. that are naturally occurring in the soil that are related
to fungi. I believe they are called sclerotia. They are black in color
and are not necessarily charred. When dissected they reveal a black or
brownish/black solid interior with some texture depending on the
specimen. There is no evident internal seed structure.

Tonya Largy, M.A.
Archaeobotany Consultant
Wayland, Massachusetts
U.S.A.