*        http://www.anthropologymatters.com            *
* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.                *

*Apologies for cross-posting.
*
Please take note of our panel at the upcoming EASA conference in Ireland
(see below). CfPapers is open now until the end of February.

*EASA2010: Crisis and imagination
*
Maynooth, 24/08/2010-27/08/2010

*Crises cruises: tourist encounters and imaginations in critical
places (W031)
*
Convenors
Judith Beyer (Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology) email
Felix Girke (Fakultät für Soziologie, Universität Bielefeld) email

Short Abstract

This panel addresses the role 'crisis' plays in tourist encounters, focusing
on travel to authoritarian states which often specifically encourage
tourism, and on tourism in (post)-disaster areas. We invite scholars to
present empirical studies on crisis as a motivation or justification for
travel, as a frame of tourist encounters, and as a commodity.

Long Abstract

This panel addresses the role 'crisis' plays in tourist encounters, focusing
firstly on travel to authoritarian states which often specifically encourage
tourism, and secondly on tourism in areas which are experiencing or
recovering from disasters. Thus, we are interested in discussing how tourism
is oriented to crisis.

The 'tourist' has been defined as a person free from social and cultural
obligations (Nash 1981). In opposition to this, the 'new (moral) tourists'
claim to be subject to obligations wherever they go (Butcher 2003). This
contemporary trend is evidenced by ethical tourism schemes and advocacy
groups which help travelers in making informed choices in their touristic
consumption. People's felt cosmopolitan obligations seem particularly
responsive to crises, both at home and abroad. Following the conference
theme, we understand a 'crisis' as an imaginative construct which generally
serves to explain and justify social action. Thus, a crisis need not entail
large-scale effects, but always indicates a dramatization of circumstances,
often facilitated by mass-media. Crises and their after-effects have become
not only an inevitable aspect of travel today, but an explicit motivation
for tourists, be it to provide relief and rebuild (e.g. 'voluntourism'), or
to witness and consume (e.g. 'dark tourism'). Alternatively, travelers may
cultivate an indifference to crises.

Taking note of these current phenomena in tourism, we invite scholars to
present empirical studies on crisis as a motivation or justification for
travel, as a frame of tourist encounters, and as a commodity. Papers can
also discuss methodological difficulties in studying crisis, imagination,
and tourism.

http://www.nomadit.co.uk/easa/easa2010/panels.php5?PanelID=609

Contact via Conference Website.