At Oxford Brookes we have been signed up for a few years.  Our application form now says that people will be considered under the scheme unless they choose to opt out.  Numbers of disabled people applying and being shortlisted have risen over the past few years, although appointments are still very low. We don't know whether this increase was due to the Two Ticks scheme, or greater awareness of disability rights following the DDA, or something else.

In the limited space of a job advertisement the Two Ticks symbol does signal the university's commitment to certain actions for disabled people, and the applicant can complain if these are not met.

Our Recruitment & Selection training covers the Two Ticks scheme, as well as broader training on fair and non-discriminatory recruitment.  Some people still think that they are treating people fairly by treating them the same, so we need to explain that disabled people may need reasonable adjustments at interview and in their work role.

In terms of internal process, my impression is that since the Chair of the shortlisting panel is informed of any applicants to be considered under the Two Ticks scheme, this results in a closer scrutiny of these
applicants to see whether they meet the essential criteria and should be interviewed.  We've also produced some guidance for managers on interviewing disabled applicants, which encourages them to think about reasonable adjustments they can make during the interview itself e.g.  phrasing questions differently for applicants with a  learning disability.

Thus for us I think the benefit is partly internal, in forcing managers to look more carefully at marginal applicants.  Strong applicants would be shortlisted anyway, whether or not they are being considered under the Two Ticks scheme.

Kind regards
Caroline

--
Caroline Moughton

Staff Disability Adviser and EODC

L 3.12, Library, Oxford Brookes University, Gipsy Lane Campus, Oxford , OX3 0BP

Rich, Tammy wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Hi colleagues

Kingston University is considering signing up to the Two Ticks symbol and, as part of the decision making process, I have been asked to find out how well it is working for Universities already signed up.

Have there been any noticeable or measurable changes as a result of being part of the Two Ticks scheme – not just in representation but perhaps in training for recruitment and selection?  Perhaps you’re part of a different ‘guaranteed interview’ scheme and chose not to be part of Two Ticks?  If so, why did your institution make that choice?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

On doing my research for my case I found 37 UK universities who are signed up.  There may be more – this was just from internet searches.

Kind regards
Tammy

Tammy Rich | Equality Adviser | Kingston University London

Equality Unit | 53 Portland Road | Kingston | KT1 2SH

DL: 020 8417 4025 |  Internal: 64025 |  Fax: 020 8417 4159

Security System.