A reminder that deadline for this is March 1st. Apologies for cross-posting ...

11th EASA Biennial Conference: Maynooth, Ireland

24-27th August 2010
Call for papers:

*Wounding, meaning, being: managing experience, knowledge and time in
contemporary religiosity*

*Convenors*
Keith Egan (National University of Ireland)
Ruy Blanes (Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lisbon)

*Description*
This workshop invites scholars to tackle issues of experience, knowledge and
time in religious contexts. More specifically, we seek to question how the
materiality of temporal orientations (i.e. memory and historicity, but also
futurology and prediction) entangles with stances of religious experience
such as embodiment, memory and transmission, producing specific (successful,
critical or precarious) forms of knowing and being that pertain to both the
religious and extra-religious sphere.

More specifically, we are thinking about a range of sacred rhythms that join
and demarcate self and world, from textual reading (Engelke) and
fixation/innovation, personal biographies, hagiographies and ritual calendar
celebrations to prediction, prophecy and soteriology, religious
interpretations of 'secular history', etc. We are particularly interested in
discussing these sacred rhythms in the context of a dialectic of suffering
(as an orientation towards the past) and hope (as a projection into the
future) that orients the 'lived texture of everyday life' (Orsi) within
processes of religious meaning-making. We seek to explore, then, how selves
and world intersect in contemporary religiosity to shape the embodiment,
experience, imagination and expression of our shared 'struggle for being'
(M. Jackson).

The call for papers is now open and closes on 1st March 2010.
Any questions, contact Ruy ([log in to unmask]) or Keith (
[log in to unmask]). Paper submission must be online at:
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/easa/easa2010/panels.php5?PanelID=576

This email was independently scanned for viruses by McAfee anti-virus software and none were found