Hi all

Apols for cross posting.  Would be interested in hearing any views on
the occurrence of significant pneumothorax in a previously normal
(non-pneumothorax) chest following needle decompression that has been
performed inappropriately ie in the non-pneumothorax situation.

I am asking because someone with a US military background (special
forces medic) was putting forth a view that they have evidence from pigs
that this is _not_ an issue ie. that significant pneumothorax does not
result because the chest wall wound is so small and any lung wound self
seals.

Which has got me thinking.
a) could this be true?
b) is anything similar written up?
c) can anyone report clinical experience around the issue.

He didn't say is this is with an 'in and out' techniques ie. if no rush
of air, take it out - but I would guess this was what was meant.

Worthy of discussion?

Cheers

--
Jel