Fri., Feb. 26th 2010
EBI

Dear all,

I've already replied privately to several people who replied when I first posted th question, but did
not set the record-clear for
the whole community and I do apologize.

What I have is two or more 3D structures, not protein, similar in their 3D but equivalent atoms don't
have the same atom-name. I thought
that in order to rename equivalent atoms automatically I needed to 3D fit
the two structures first. Adel Golovin of PDBeMOTIF fame (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-site/pdbemotif)
has pointed out that for the automatic atom renaming process  all I needed was 2D-fitting via
2D-graph isomorphism routine which he could provide. Once all structures in a given set have the same
atom names, 3D-fitting is doable using numerous software/utilities.

Thanks again for the replies, especially to Pavel Afonine  (phenix)
with whom I had a lengthy exchange.

CCP4-board is one of the best...

Thanks again
Miri