Van: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Paul Smeets
Verzonden: maandag 4 januari 2010 11:19
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [SPM] Abnormal Realignment Result??

Dear Wei,

I cannot open your .fig 's but this sounds familiar. Does it look like the attached file (a 12-min run)?

This 'movement' is due to a drift effect. There is an option to prevent this on Philips scanners, I think it is called 'fMRI echo stabilization', this may have been switched off in your case. It inserts a very short (~10 ms) measurement of the resonance frequency f0 in your sequence and adjusts accordingly as things warm up (with a lag of a few dynamics).
In any case, your registration is correct; the head does move, although the subject doesn't ...

Best,

Paul

Huang, Wei (Psychiatry) wrote:
<pre wrap>Dear All,

I've done realignment (estimate and reslice) on 246 EPIs (taken in one
continuous scan), and the result showed a total 7mm continuous movement
in the y direction (see attached 1st.fig), which led me doubt the
quality of images and/or realignment.  I went ahead to do another
realignment based on the already realigned 246 scans and got the result
of very small movement in all directions (see attached 2nd.fig), which
made me believe the 1st realignment job was fine.  However, I have never
got such big continuous translation in one direction.  Is this set of
images reliable?  Is there another way to check if anything is wrong
with my images?

Thanks,
Wei
</pre></body>

--
~~~~

Paul A.M. Smeets, PhD
Image Sciences Institute
University Medical Center Utrecht
Heidelberglaan 100, Rm Q0S.459
3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 88 75 53172
Fax: +31 30 251 3399

Division of Human Nutrition
Agrotechnology and Food Sciences Group
Wageningen University and Research Centre
Tel: +31 3174 80759 (usually on Fridays)

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en de afzender direct te informeren door het bericht te retourneren. Het Universitair Medisch Centrum Utrecht is een publiekrechtelijke rechtspersoon in de zin van de W.H.W. (Wet Hoger Onderwijs en Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek) en staat geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel voor Midden-Nederland onder nr. 30244197.

Denk s.v.p aan het milieu voor u deze e-mail afdrukt.

This message may contain confidential information and is intended exclusively for the addressee. If you receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents but notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. University Medical Center Utrecht is a legal person by public law and is registered at the Chamber of Commerce for Midden-Nederland under no. 30244197.