Dear colleagues,

(apologies for crossposting)

Please find below a reminder that conference registration is now open - with early booking discount until 31 January 2010. Proposals for sessions or papers are now being accepted, with an extended deadline of 31 January.

Towards Carfree Cities IX: How Do We Get There?
York, United Kingdom: 28 June to 1 July 2010

Registration now open: http://www.worldcarfree.net/conference/.
Please contact us for details of day rates.

The goal of the Towards Carfree Cities conference series is to promote alternatives to car-oriented urban and transport planning, ultimately leading to the transformation of towns and cities into human-scaled environments rich in public space and community life. The focus is on strategy, collaboration and exchange, assisting the practical work of conference participants, from organising carfree days to planning the carfree cities of the future.

Next year's conference, co-organised by World Carfree Network and local members of Carfree UK, with the support of the Stockholm Environment Institute in York, has the theme "How Do We Get There?". It will focus on bringing carfree communities to life, considering a range of strategies from temporary events to permanent road space reallocation to European models of new carfree development. We plan to carry out a real street conversion during the conference!

We will also learn from and seek inspiration from the past, by looking at how the medieval pedestrian city was organised spatially, and how these principles could be applied to future settlements. The key challenges of fostering political and public acceptability for car reduction measures will be examined, including an exploration of the conditions under which people willingly give up the car in exchange for the benefits of living in traffic-free environments.

We are now seeking related proposals for presentations, workshops and other activities. Programme proposals of up to two pages in length should be sent in English to [log in to unmask] by 31 January.

Please include:
1. a description of your proposed activity;
2. the anticipated or desired outcome of the activity;
3. an estimation of the time you will require;
4. relevant personal information or experience, and your full contact details.

We hope to see many of you in York next June!

Anzir Boodoo
on behalf of the TCC IX Organising Committee

--
Anzir Boodoo, PhD student
The Institute for Transport Studies, The University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT