Rogere, take a look at the article Noel Kinnamon and I published in the
special "Robert Sidney" issue of the Sidney Journal. There is material
there on the way the different hands were used, and useful bibliography.
If I'm recalling this correctly, Robert used an italic hand as a regular
thing -- it decayed rapidly to produce the horrible scrawl that so
endears him to us all, but the letter-forms hint at his intention.
However, on one occasion, writing home to an upper servant at Penshurst,
he used secretary. Class or function distinctions? Germaine

Germaine Warkentin // English (Emeritus), University of Toronto
http://www.individual.utoronto.ca/germainew/

“The primary rule of intellectual life: when puzzled,
it never hurts to read the primary documents” (Stephen Jay Gould)

Ring the bells that still can ring / Forget your perfect offering /
There is a crack, a crack in everything / That’s how the light gets in. (Leonard Cohen)