Here are the quotations for the coming week (Jan 31st to Feb 6th):

1. 'I went forward, but I cannot say whither I went, and there was no more food for myself or the sister. And upon a hot night, she weeping and calling for food, we came to a well, and I bade her sit upon the kerb, and thrust her in, for, in truth, she could not see; and it is better to die than to starve.'

2. 'Be quick', said Athira; and Suket Singh was quick; but Athira was quick no longer. Then he lit the pile at the four corners and climbed upon it, reloading the gun.
The little flames began to peer up between the big logs atop of the brushwood. 'The Government should teach us to pull the triggers with our toes,' said Suket Singh grimly to the moon. That was the last public observation of Sepoy Suket Singh.

3. …an instant later, by the tone of Spurstow's voice calling upon them to enter, the men knew what had happened. There was no need to wake him.
The punkah was still being pulled over the bed, but Hummil had departed this life at least three hours.
The body lay on its back, hands clinched by the side…In the staring eyes was written terror beyond the expression of any pen…'

The sources of last week;s extracts (Jan 24th to 30th) are:

1.  (..."Hutt, ye beggars! Hutt, ye devils! Get along! Go forward, there!" )  This is from "On the City Wall" in Soldiers Three'

2.  (..."Carbine-stealing again!" said the adjutant, calmly sinking back in his chair... I hope the sentries have killed him." )  This is from "The Man who Was" in Life’s Handicap.

3,  (...Five volleys plunged the files in banked smoke impenetrable to the eye, and the bullets began to take ground twenty or thirty yards in front of the firers...)  This is from "The Drums of the Fore and Aft" in Wee Willie Winkie.

We have recently published notes by Roger Ayers on "Screwguns" and "Route Marchin'" and notes by John McGivering on "Surgical and Medical" an 'uncollected' story about visits to military hospitals during the South African War.

We have also launched new pages on the web-site for men and women on active service, see the attached press release.

Good wishes to all, John R