-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lawrence Serewicz
Sent: 16 January 2010 07:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: what does bad digital records management look like? photos or
visuals to share?

Dear All,
I am preparing a presentation which will include a discussion of records
management. I want to make this tangible to senior management.  I have
slides that show poor paper records management.  The well known desk piled
with papers or a storage shed with boxes open  at random and obvious signs
of flooding.

What I am struggling to find, or develop, is a slide or a picture that show
what poor digital records management looks like. A couple of options that
spring to mind would be to have a picture of a desktop with lots of
documents and few folders randomly arranged.

My concern, and perhaps this is a problem for the field, is that a lay
person will see a lot of files and folders and think that the desk top is
organised.  They cannot visualize inside that to realize it is not well
ordered.  Moreover, simply saying digital records needs to be managed does
not create a "golden thread" from the individual with poor RM digitally to
the whole organisation having a serious digital storage problem.  Despite
the theoretical arguments about storing everything, we cannot keep buying
bigger buckets. :)

At a glance I can see bad paper records management by seeing open records
boxes strewn across a service depot with files and papers falling out. At a
glance, I (perhaps I need new glasses) cannot see the same thing digitally.
Perhaps I have not yet entered the matrix. :)

I think that if I could make the point about digital by saying that the same
goes for digital, but that may not have the same impact.

How have you approached? How would you approach it?

I may end up with the screen shot of a desktop but I was hoping for
something  else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and reciprocated.

Best,

Lawrence

For any content based queries, please email