Hi,
> I have a question for you.
> When analyzing qualitative observation data, is it better to
> transcript data into a word document and then analyze or using the
> original data on paper in analyzing data. I can think of advantage and
> disadvantage of each way. Is there any citation that discuss that?
> thanks...

A short answer:
transcription will take you a lot of time, but its advantage is that if
you do it yourself, you will know your text very well. And if you use a
QDA-program instead of a text processor like Word, one of these packages
will show you that you have much better access to your data as if you
have a pile of thousands of pages somewhere in your bureau. A hard disk
is so much more handy than a bureau floor covered with paper all over.

You can an overview on text analysis soware including QDA-soft at
http://www.textanalysis.info

HTH

Harald Klein