RE: [PSCI-COM] So if you have a cracking science story ...

I actually agree with MK on this one (!) - many press offices do extremely fine work translating the complexities of a science story and handling the press attention around it. I work at Cancer Research UK, liasing closely with our press team to make sure important science stories are communicated accurately and effectively. And if you knew anything about our internal processes you would know that putting together a press release is far from quick and dirty! (for example, all our press releases are approved by the scientists).

Kat

-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science on behalf of Michael Kenward
Sent: Wed 13/01/2010 21:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] So if you have a cracking science story ...

-----Original Message-----

Because of the complexity (and danger of ruffling feathers) the story needs
to be told carefully.  It can't be put in a quick press release.  So going
to the university press office is not an option.

---End Quoted (and cut) Message---

Why is this not an option?

University press offices aren't quite the same thing as Max Clifford. That
can do depth and difficult.

I would not dismiss them.

If the scientists goes it alone they run a greater risk of being shafted
than if they talk to the press office.

MK

send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk

6. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask]

This communication is from Cancer Research UK. Our website is at www.cancerresearchuk.org. We are a charity registered under number 1089464 and a company limited by guarantee registered in England & Wales under number 4325234. Our registered address is 61 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX. Our central telephone number is 020 7242 0200.

This communication and any attachments contain information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it or in any attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the email and destroy any copies of it.

E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. We do not accept liability for any such matters or their consequences. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is taken to accept the risks in doing so.
********************************************************************** 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message: