HI Ian, and others

Strangely, perhaps, I'd agree with most of your comments, certainly from the presenter's point of view.

The wrap-round seating is both a plus and a minus. Its a plus as it gets a lot of the audience really close, and a minus because the people in the wings have a very poor view of the presenter. It notable that the theatre at Techniquest, which is based on the Faraday theatre doesn't wrap the audience as far round the presenter as the Faraday theatre does.

Again, I'm not sure about the big demonstration bench - its certainly has presence, but it can be too big.

I think my main criticisms of the Faraday theatre are, firstly, that is has a very formal ambience - its clearly intended to be a place where serious and important things are done and said - which is reenforced by the architectural style and decor of the building in which it sits.

Secondly it dates from a time when there was no broadcast media and no presentation aids to speak of. Because it is basically quite a small space retrofitting these things has to be something of a compromise. My schools show was videoed for subsequent webcasting, and as a performer I was very aware of the presence of the cameras, because they were really quite close to me.

And then there's the whole question of access - the theatre is on the first floor, which is served by lifts, so far so good, but there's essentially no vehicle access to the RI building - there doesn't seem to be anywhere a presenter can park up a vehicle to unload, for example. This must limit to some extent what can be shown in the theatre - I couldn't present most of my shows for example as I couldn't bring the props without my van - oh and in any case you'd have to drive to the middle of London!

My thought about the RI teaming up with the OU was prompted by the thought that there are lots of things that the RI stages which in the modern era of multi channel broadcasting might be worth making avaliable to a larger audience. Would there be any milage in something like the Friday Evening Discourses being broadcast in some form?

If there was, might this not be better done from a venue purpose built to meet the requirements of science communication in the 21 century, just as the RI was purpose built to meet the requirements of 200 years ago?

Cheers

Richard.

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive