Hi All

The founding fathers (and they were all men) of the RI established it for the purpose of

"diffusing the knowledge, and facilitating the general introduction, of useful mechanical inventions and improvements; and for teaching, by courses of philosophical lectures and experiments, the application of science to the common purposes of life."

Since 1792 there have, of course, been many other organisations founded with the same or similar purposes, so would we miss the oldest institution in the world devoted to PEST?

I think if the RI went to the wall it would send out all kinds of wrong signals about the importance of science and technology, and the need to engage the public with them. The RI is older than all but two English universities, and the disappearence of such a venerable, and internationally known, organisation would surely have a demoralising effect of some size.

This is not to say that the RI should be kept alive as a fossil for mere sentiment, and it is not to confuse the organisation with its premises.  In the last year I have twice presented lectures in the Faraday Lecture Theatre, and whilst I enjoyed treading the hallowed boards I have to say that in all honesty the Faraday Theatre is not a particularly good arena to work in. Frankl, its cramped, and access is hardly good as its on the first floor.  The ambience of the Faraday Theatre is somewhat old-fashioned, as is that of the building as a whole, and I can't help feeling that there is a mismatch between the desire, and maybe the necessity, to present science a modern and 'cutting edge'  and the antique and possibly even stuffy ambience of the RI building.

Given the success of the Open University I wonder if the RI should consider leaving London and moving to Milton Keynes to form some kind of partnership with the OU?

Maybe if Greenfield's departure precipitates a crisis at the RI someone will be bold enough to suggest that in order to survive and prosper in our brave new world the institution should cut itself loose from the incubus of its historic surroundings and find itself a new home more in line with the requirements of the modern age?

Cheers

Richard Ellam
L M Interactive
Science Shows and Hands-On Stuff