Hi

This comes down to "informed consent" for referral; that the employee is aware of the reasons for referral, the types of questions asked / concerns raised and implications of how the information from OH may be used e.g. to inform action regarding employment. So "best practice" is for the referring manager to take the employee throught the referral in some way and be aware that OH may / will also take the employee through these issues as part of their own process.

I frequently do not go ahead with consultations as the employee states the manager has not discussed the potential of IHR or disciplinary action with the employee but has raised them as issues in the referral. I ask the manager to discuss and confirm on re-referral that this discussion has taken place again (taking into account that the employee may have "forgotten" that this process has in fact already taken place).
Carr