Hi

I agree with Sharon and use similar phrases. Also try to be very clear of your role .. you are not a mediator or a "protector" from management action. If there is just distress (fully functioning at home with no symptoms but gets angry/upset when topic is raised) I make it clear there is no medical illness. If there are clinical symptoms I advise on health management as normal, give a timeframe for expected improvement in symptoms and then usually say that even if symptoms resolve/stabilise on purely medical grounds enough to allow return to work the perceived work issues are likely to remain a barrier pending management action to the satisfaction of the employee and that this is not a medical issue.

Be wary of saying someone is unfit for a management process interview.. acknowledge it may be distressing but the process usually allows for this - delaying it only makes it more difficult. I only advise unfit if distress would be functionally overwhelming (rare and I give a time limit) or if there are issues with cognitive understanding eg.could not understand process or instruct someone to act on their own behalf (even rarer).