From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Tristi Brownett
Sent: 20 January 2010 10:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Hand Held ECG Machines in Lifestyle Screening

                    *** WARNING ***

  This message has originated outside your organisation,

Hi Jean

Our company uses a variety of heart recording devices in lifestyle
checks including a hand held 'heart stress' device.

I think the main issue with any of these devices, that you do need to be
aware of, is that you get a result based on that moment in time and what
ever you find you have to act appropriately in accordance with best
practice and national guidance. The machines that interpret for you,
have a tendency to 'over interpret' the results and do err on the side
of caution. What you end up with is an anxious 'well ' person and a GP
who has been given extra workload and isn't very happy with you.

In isolation the recording device isn't a predictor of future health.
Where ever possible we try to explain the pitfalls of this type of
health assessment to customers, inevitably for some it's a deal breaker
if that's what they set out to purchase. We then have to make both an
ethical/clinical versus business discoing whether to proceed.

On these occasions it's a judgement call.

I haven't really answered your question I know, but do feel that my
response gives food for thought.

Kind regards

Tristi

Tristi Brownett
Quality & Assurance Director

http://www.premierohc.co.uk/
Tel:
01303 298100
Fax:
01303 298149
Email:
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Web:
http://www.premierohc.co.uk

Premier Occupational Healthcare can assist with:

- Provision of OH Nurses and Physicians
- Management Referrals
- Web Based Pre-Employment Screening
- Know your numbers Health Check
- Health Surveillance

Premier Occupational Healthcare Limited is a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 3866894. Our Registered Office
Address is Premier House, Shearway Business Park, Pent Road, Folkestone,
Kent CT19 4RJ VAT number 837 1180 34

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential and
intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). Access, copying,
disclosure or re-use, in any way, of the information contained in this
email and attachments by anyone other than the addressee(s) is
unauthorised. If you have received this email in error, please return it
to the sender and highlight the error. We accept no legal liability for
the content of the message. Any opinions or views presented are solely
the responsibility of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Premier Occupational Healthcare Ltd. We cannot guarantee that this
message has not been modified in transit, and this message should not be
viewed as contractually binding. Although we have taken reasonable steps
to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we
advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should
ensure they are actually virus free.