From: Amrit Daffu-O'Reilly [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wed 20/01/2010 14:11
To: Mark Johnson
Subject: HEART study - University of Leeds

Dear Professor Johnson

My name is Amrit, I am a final year PhD student at the University of Leeds (Psychological Sciences).  My research is investigating the high incidence of heart disease in the South Asian community in the UK.  As you know already, South Asians are 50% more likely to contract and die prematurely of heart disease and much more research in this area is needed.  Lifestyle factors play a crucial role in the prevention of heart disease and the aim of my research is to develop an intervention to encourage the uptake of healthier behaviours in a non-symptomatic population and test the efficacy of that intervention.

The intervention was developed last year by means of a health promotion DVD.  I am now in the phase of testing it in preparation for a longer trial that I will carry out later on this year.  I initially attempted to test the video through a web based study and after 3 months of intense recruitment, I unfortunately could not yield the response that was needed in order to make the study viable.

I have now adopted a new approach which will hopefully yield a better response and will be less onerous on research participants.  I am now beginning to request the help of companies and organisations that employ high numbers of South Asian people.  I am hoping that face to face interaction will be more effective.  I thought I would write to you in the event that you know of or have any contact with any companies that might be able to assist me with my research.

I am looking for South Asian people aged between 18 and 60 and can speak English fluently.  It doesn’t matter where they were born – either here or abroad, but they must have their ancestral roots in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.  I am looking for about 100 people (or less if this figure is unachievable) and I would deliver the trial myself.  It would involve filling out some questionnaires, watching a short video and filling out a final questionnaire.  I would then leave a questionnaire to be filled out 2 weeks after my visit which would be returned to me by post.  Participation in the trial is anonymous.  If I were to recruit from a company or an organisation, I would be able to provide lunch.  Running one session should take about 45 minutes.  I’d be really grateful if you could have a think about any companies with whom you have existing contact that might be interested in coming on board.

If you require any more information, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

I look forward to hearing from you.

With kind thanks

Amrit

0774 9277971