I could hardly fail to plug this one! No personal interest or benefits,
honest!

Mark R D Johnson

Professor of Diversity in Health & Social Care

Mary Seacole Research Centre, DMU

Lorraine Culley and Simon Dyson. Ethnicity and Healthcare Practice: A
Guide for the primary care team. Quay Books, 2009.
http://www.quaybooks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=325&osCsid=hdmfd
hk9urdstknc0ob4llks34
<http://www.quaybooks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=325&osCsid=hdmf
dhk9urdstknc0ob4llks34>

This new book aims to shed light on how ethnicity can be addressed
within community healthcare settings, although it discusses issues of
relevance to all practitioners. It is written from an anti-essentialist
stance, arguing that cultural context is important but that we should
not view culture in a deterministic way or ignore the similarities
between all ethnic groups.  It has chapters on key issues such as
language and communication, mental health, asylum seekers and refugee
communities, managing diversity, and each one provides examples of good
practice and further reading and resources,

Lorraine Culley

Professor of Social Science and Health

Associate Director Mary Seacole Research Centre

Hawthorn Building

De Montfort University Leicester LE1 9BH

Tel. 0116 257 7753 Fax: 0116 257 7778

Knowledgeshare Editor: Diversity in Health and Social Care (Radcliffe)

See also

Culley, L, Hudson, N & van Rooij, F. eds (2009) Marginalized
Reproduction: Ethnicity, Infertility and Reproductive Technologies.
Earthscan Books London.
http://www.earthscan.co.uk/Portals/0/pdfs/Marginalized_Reproduction_II.p
df
<https://webmail.dmu.ac.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.earthsca
n.co.uk/Portals/0/pdfs/Marginalized_Reproduction_II.pdf>