As far as I am aware, this is the custom today, especially in Rome where the head of each Order preaches on the feast day of the founder of the other Order in the church of its headquarters, e.g. in Santa Sabina for the Dominicans. In the medieval lives of St Dominic both Dominic and Francis meet and in the life of St Dominic Pope Innocent III has a vision that the Lateran is about to collapse and St Dominic pushes against the church's wall and saves it and in the medival lives of St Francis, Pope Innocent III has a similar dream about Francis. During their historic meeting Francis and Dominic agree to fight together to save the Church..
John Cochrane
Australian Catholic University

> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:58:37 -0800
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [M-R] Raymond de Penafort
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Suzanne,
>
> Fr. Francisco Nahoe, OFM, told me last year that the custom is still
> observed. Indeed, he preached at the Dominican convent that year.
>
> He's now gone as a missionary to Southeast Asia, so i can't ask him
> about the origin of the custom, but I can ask Fr. Xavier Harris, OFM,
> whether he knows the history.
>
> GHV
>
> On Jan 30, 2010, at 8:40 PM, Suzanne Hevelone wrote:
>
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> > culture
> >
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I remember hearing that when Raymond of Peņafort was Master General of
> > the Dominicans, he arranged with a high ranking Franciscan in Toulouse
> > that for the feast day of Francis, a Dominican would preach to the
> > Franciscans, and for the feast day of Dominic, a Franciscan would
> > preach to the Dominicans.
> >
> > However, I cannot find a reference to this anywhere. Has anyone else
> > run across it, or is it a created memory?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Suzanne

> > To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
> > to: [log in to unmask]
> > To send a message to the list, address it to:
> > To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
> > to: [log in to unmask]
> > In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> > For further information, visit our web site:
> > http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html
>
> George Hardin Brown
> Professor of English emeritus
> Department of English, Bldg. 460
> Stanford University
> Stanford, CA 94305-2087
> tel: 650 269-9898

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

Shopping Trolley Mechanic If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157639755/direct/01/
to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]