-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Christopher Crockett
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] vulgate and abbots as bishops

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

From: Herwig Weigl <[log in to unmask]>

>>>  From the late twelfth/early thirteenth century, all episcopal
elections
needed to be confirmed by the Apostolic See....

>> was this stricture in place before the reign of Innocent III?

> not even after him

well, Herwig, it is in place now, so we must assume that it came into
being
sometime after Innocent3 and before today, mustn't we?

but, you are saying that Innocent wasn't responsible for its
implementation?

1200 does seem to me to be a bit late, given the shear impracticality of
enforcing such a stricture.

even Boniface VIII might have had a hard time enforcing it, esp. in
France.

is it later than that?

i do know that we start seeing Italian canons in the chapter of Chartres
in
the course of the 13th c., and always assumed that that was an
indication of
increasing Papal influence --though not quite the same thing as
demanding
(much less actually getting) that a bishop get an official OkeyDoaky
from the
Papa himself .

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]