From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Jon Cannon
Sent: Tue 05/01/2010 5:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Resurrection Bodies?

...I like the term 'social body' for the late medieval effigies one finds on transi tombs. I've recently studied one of these in detail - John Carpenter, bp. of Worcester, to be published by the Bristol Record Society later this year. In this case there is (and probably never was) a 'social body', just a cadaver with mitre and staff to indicate status in life. But the (lost but reconstructable) architectural and iconographic setting for this tomb strongly suggests a 'Resurrection' layer of meaning, too, at least in this case.

...If these are the 'social bodies' of the people concerned, I wonder if we need another for the more standardised and idealised effigies of the C13/C14...

...In England there is a particularly inventive (and thus instructive) phase in the earlier C14, when we get figures with their eyes open (Bristol) or twisting on a bed of rocks, apparently about to rise up and draw a sword (Burrough Green, Reepham, Ingham); these presumably related to the much-studied and extraordinary C13 sword-reaching effigies (eg Dorchester abbey and elsewhere). If *these* chaps are depicted in the moment of resurrection, their defensive reaction may not sit well when Judgement begins!

... I am interested to learn that Panofsky talks of family tombs with kids in the C14. I can't think of them in England. Tomb with 'weepers', yes, but not specifically kids. In any case, I presume even our medieval people didn't think dead children would be resurrected at age 33! ... (though nothing would suprise me...)

... but was it Panofsky who began the much-repeated story that the first double tomb in England, ie the first tomb with man and wife lying next to each other, was (I think it is) Richard III? If so, in this respect at least he was way off: I can think of examples, and for relatively minor nobles to boot, going back almost to 1300.

An interesting subject.

Jon

Use Hotmail to send and receive mail from your different email accounts. Find out how. ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html