medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture There's no doubt that is, as it were, their primary intent. There are indeed several surviving wills and inscriptions specifying such: a complete list (with extracts) is in Pamela King, ‘Contexts of the Cadaver Tomb in Fifteenth Century England’ (University of York, PhD thesis, 1987).

But - a propos Jim's comments (and for his refs and further refs I'm v grateful) - these things can surely work on more than one level, and indeed at any one time vary from patron to patron. Just as the medieval great church is not 'simply' an image of the Heavenly Jerusalem or a liturgy-driven 'machine for worshipping in' or an emblem of the power and wealth of the community that worshipped it, or (I coud go on) so medieval tombs can surely work on several levels. After all they are plainly emblems of social types and social status, but also images that encourage prayer for the soul of the person commemorated, resulting in concerns both social/political and spiritual/religious that could work together to define the imagery they display. And so I do think the question of whether the resurrection is one of these is worth discussion: Jim's right, however about (occasional) the little souls, and the nakedness: these are points well made.

Jon

Add other email accounts to Hotmail in 3 easy steps. Find out how. ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html