This is a calamity - for Longford, for Irish Christians of all
denominations, and for everyone who loves the history of the Celtic world.
At almost every level it is an irreplaceable loss.

BMC

Subject: [M-R] Longford Cathedral fire

This probably has not made the international news but on early on Christmas
day St Mel's Cathedral in Longford town was destroyed by fire, the cause of
which has yet to be established. Fortunately, no lives were lost but in
addition to the destruction of one of the iconic buildings of the Irish
midlands I had confirmation yesterday that among the items destroyed in the
fire were St Mel's crozier, the Shrine of St Caillin and the bell of Fenagh,
some of the most important relics of the early Irish church outside of the
National Museum in Dublin.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]