From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Poole
Sent: 24 January 2010 20:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Accessibility Audits

Hi Jane,

You may already be aware of them, but we are working with the Shaw Trust
on the current Peoples Record project, and I think their approach to
accessibility audits is excellent.

You can find out more at:
http://www.shaw-trust.org.uk/website_accessibility

Although their audits do include technical verification for compliance
with WCAG etc, the main thing is that they employ a team of people with
direct personal experience of using a range of adaptive technologies.
This team will put your site through its paces from a range of
perspectives, including no vision, low vision, impaired mobility,
learning difficulties, deafness and dyslexia - ensuring that it is
thoroughly user-tested as well as compliance-checked.

You can also go visit their team during the assessment at their lab in
South Wales, which I haven't done, but have heard from others is a very
educational experience.

I could have a chat offline about costs (and it is certainly a
consideration), but if you're looking for a gold standard, this seems
pretty good.

All best,

Nick