Anra,
I intend to have a good look at your data feeds and will get back to you (off list) with some feedback/ideas based on my ongoing work with JISC supporting developers in experimenting with such APIs.

I would like to say publicly on this list though that I am impressed already by a couple of things:

1/. The documentation you have provided (such as at http://www.culture24.org.uk/sector+info/data+sharing/art74964) is, in my view, first class. Among the best I have seen (and I look at a lot of this kind of thing). This is crucially important.

2/. Your approach to offering different levels of access is interesting. I guess it remains to be seen whether this works for you in the long run, but given that content providers are generally wrestling with these issues, I think your approach is reasonable and, on the face of it, easy to understand. Experience tells me that this is also crucial - developers can be very impatient with this kind of thing if it is not fairly clear up-front what is being both offered and required!

Good stuff!

Paul

On 18 Jan 2010, at 18:26, Anra Kennedy wrote:

> Dear MCG-ers
>
> Culture24 launched a set of data feeds a couple of days ago - we're beginning
> with a quiet pilot phase, offering 3 levels of access in 3 formats to begin
> with... you may have seen the tweets already.
>
> Formats available now are: RSS, OAI-PMH and SOAP.
>
> Record types are:  venue info, event and exhibition listings and resource
> listings
>
> Access levels are:
>
> a) Open - the 'top layer' of all content types - so summaries with link backs to
> Culture24 records - no registration
>
> b) Redacted - all data on all content types for techies to play with - after a
> few characters records become unintelligible. Will enable developers to assess
> the data stucture and work out if/what you'd like to access in full - no
> registration
>
> c) Full - all records in their entirety. Ready to go now technically, but access
> upon agreement with Culture24 of appropriate licence and, if applicable,
> administration/provision charges. We'll be taking the issuing of licenses slowly
> and seriously as ideas for partnerships, projects and world-changing apps roll
> in :)
>
> Full info is on the Culture24 site at:
>
> www.culture24.org.uk/datasharing
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback and/or ideas.
>
> REST lovers, we know you're out there and will have news on that v soon.
>
> All the best,
>
> Anra
>
> Anra Kennedy
> Head of Programmes