The official response to the petition is very disappointing - not the sort of response hoped for at all. Hopefully people won’t give up and as Mark says It indicates a complete lack of understanding of the potential role of the library and the library/information profession in terms of developing the information literacy of students and incorporating information literacy into the curriculum.

In Scotland we had similar problems with this and the Scottish Information Literacy Project set out to tackle this and engage with those involved in lifelong learning, education and the new curriculum in Scotland. We have been successful in our endeavours with the new Curriculum for Excellence specifically Literacy across Learning http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/curriculumforexcellence/responsibilityofall/literacy/index.asp a responsibility of all where information literacy can be found in:

Although the term critical literacy rather than information literacy is used it does give recognition to the skills and acknowledges “school library resource centres, who make an enormous contribution to the literacy skills of children and young people”. Something for us to embrace, use and deliver on raising the profile of school librarians and information literacy.

Regards

Christine

Christine Irving BA (Hons), MCLIP, MSc Researcher / Project Officer The Scottish Information Literacy Project Milton Street Building MS005 (Ground Floor) Glasgow Caledonian University Cowcaddens Road Glasgow G3 6RB 0141 273 1249 [log in to unmask]

Project Website  www.caledonian.ac.uk/ils/ Project Weblog  http://caledonianblogs.net/information-literacy/ Iinformation Literacy Framework  http://caledonianblogs.net/nilfs/

"Information literacy is knowing when and why you need information, where to find it, and how to evaluate, use and communicate it in an ethical manner." CILIP (2004) Information Literacy Definition