Firstly, for those who weren't at the meeting in Leamington, that meeting decided that I'd make a good chair, succeeding Stuart Cakebread. I'm hoping that we can continue to improve the meetings in line with the ideas that Stuart mentioned at the meeting. I've certainly discussed things with colleagues on the train home and have some ideas that others seem broadly in tune with. The first is the question of themed meetings - it's certainly been put to me that we should have some unthemed meetings (or parts of meetings) so that people who want to showcase (or discuss) something don't have to wait until there theme turns up (if ever). I'm also conscious of a feeling that sometimes there is a preponderance of speakers from national organisations. This is clearly useful to disseminate things downwards but sometimes the relevance (of for example pieces of fieldwork) to HER work is less clear.

So, now is an opportunity to change things (or not) and we'd welcome any ideas on themes or non-themes for the next meeting or meetings. Nick is sorting out a venue, perhaps in Manchester or Chester. I've suggested a discussion about the relationship of Hers and the Names over thesauri (which attracted a complete absence of comment) but let me know, on or off list what you think...

It would also be useful to consider the locations of meetings - there is a balance to be struck between the expense of overnight stays (vs expensive early trains) - and the potential for the social aspects of the gathering. This was certainly true of Edinburgh (though I can't remember too much of it). What do you think - are meetings in far-flung locations possible or would the numbers reduce?

Finally, Happy New Year to all.

Chris Webster

Somerset Historic Environment Record
Taunton Castle
Taunton
TA1 4AA

01823 255080

Visit the online HER at www.somerset.gov.uk/her

This communication is intended solely for the person (s) or organisation to whom it is addressed.  It may contain privileged
and confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient (s), you must not copy, distribute or take any action
in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and copy the message to

Individuals are advised that by replying to, or sending an e-mail message to Somerset County Council, you accept
that you have no explicit or implicit expectation of privacy.

In line with the Surveillance and Monitoring Policy, any e-mail messages (and attachments) transmitted over the
Council’s network may be subject to scrutiny.