Hi Patrick,

On 30 January 2010 01:44, Patrick Thompson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi,

I have  an experiment in which events of interest are of different durations 1 s to 15 s.  I want to look for brain regions that show increase or decrease in activity at the onset, during, and end of these events. Since events are of different duration and numbers, I am wondering what is the best way to model onset transient, sustained, and end transient activity for this experiment.  My approach is to have three different regressors:

The first regressor will be an impulse regressor which models transient activity at the onset of all events.

The second regressor will be a variable epoch regressor which models sustained activity at longer events (> 2.5 s) .

The third regressor will be an impulse regressor which models transient activity at the end of longer events (>2.5 s).

Three contrast, [1 0 0], [0 1 0], and [0 0 1] will give me brain regions active at onset, during, and end of these events.

Is this a valid approach?

Yes, in general that's sensible, and has been done before.  However, your events need to be long enough for the different components to be distinguished.   You mention your events vary from 1 to 15s.  Do you mean you are trying to model events of a range of durations with the three regressors?  If so, only the longer duration events will drive your results.

Eugene

Regards,
Pat