Dear Friend of Wisdom,

                                  The Guardian in the UK, on the 5 January, has an article by George Monbiot, in which he blames consumerism for our current plight.  Below is a letter I have written to The Guardian in response.

                                  All good wishes for 2010,

                                            Nick
www.nick-maxwell.demon.co.uk

It is a bit short-sighted for George Monbiot to blame consumerism for our problems (After this 60-year feeding frenzy, Earth itself has become disposable, 5 January).  We need to ask: What has made it possible for consumerism to be so damaging?  The answer is modern science and technology.  It is this that has made possible modern agriculture, transport, industry, population growth, and the destructive exploitation and pollution of the earth.  We urgently need a new kind of inquiry which gives priority, not just to the pursuit of scientific knowledge, but rather to helping us learn how to tackle our problems of living in more cooperatively rational ways.  This new kind of inquiry would devote reason to the pursuit of wisdom - wisdom being the capacity to realize what is of value in life, for oneself and others, wisdom thus including knowledge but much else besides.

Nicholas Maxwell