Perhaps the answer depends on the context of the research question or clinical question.

Is the test intended to be used as a continuous variable or in a dichotomous approach?

But another consideration is what makes a test “best”.  In some clinical scenarios sensitivity is most important; in others specificity is most important.  A combined measure (ROC, diagnostic odds ratio, diagnostic accuracy) may not be the best measure for a specific use.

Diagnostic research may have a life cycle, something like:

--hypothesis testing to find candidate diagnostic approaches (specific tests, optimal cutoffs, etc.)

--study of clinical applications

--validation studies

Someone else on this list can probably describe a more robust life cycle.

The outcomes of greatest interest and the corresponding statistical approach may vary along the way.

Brian S. Alper, MD, MSPH

Editor-in-Chief, DynaMed (www.ebscohost.com/dynamed)