What I meant to say is that MEDLINE/PubMED allows you to combine disease of interest (P) with intervention of interest (I) but not with C-omparator or O-utcome or T-ime period of interest...

-----Original Message-----
From: Djulbegovic, Benjamin
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:00 PM
To: 'Kevork Hopayian'; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Survey: framing questions on diagnosis

Kev, although I am aware of some advances in the field, for the most part the search is at mercy of coding in Medline/PubMed and other relevant databases. This leads to discrepancy between what clinicians/users want (PICO or PECOT) vs. how actually entries were coded ("tagged") in databases of interest. For this reason, I rarely found possible to use PICO/PECOT. A typical strategy consists of combining key words for disease (MeSH) (which broadly can relate to P, I guess) + filter for the study design (e.g. RCT).

There are number of information scientists/librarian on the list, and I would really appreciate some additional thoughts related to development of search filters using PICO/PECOT format. I am aware of some filters, but it would be good to learn how good they are. More specifically, can any of these (PICO) filters replace Clinical Queries etc.

Thanks

ben