Nick and all...

Many have argued that the seaquake theory is questionable because undersea earthquakes are common along the mid ocean ridge system where pods of deep diving whales feed on squid.  Their logic is similar to yours: "One can always find several underwater earthquakes for every mass stranding."  One scientist, using the same reasoning, told me 30 years ago that he thought mass stranding were caused by car wrecks in New York City because every time whales stranded there was a car wreck.

I disagree.  In my opinion, the occurrence of several suspicious earthquakes along a segment of mid-ocean ridge ~30 days prior to a mass stranding is strong supportive evidence that my theory is valid especially when coupled with the fact that mass beachings DO NOT occur in a given area when there are no upstream earthquakes of significance.

Another point is that we do not look for "causal" earthquakes in a broad area along a ridge axis.  We select events that are upstream from the beaching site.  If the earthquake is located in an area where the current would carry the injured whales in a different direction, then we rule out this event.  We are careful in selecting a suspicious quake.  I recall 20 years ago that we often had 10 or more earthquake to considered.  But lessons learned over time, along with advancement is seismic instruments, has taught us how to weed out many earthquakes.  We are at the point now where only one event stands out as a likely source of barotrauma.  We are also finding that ~10% of the ridge axis produces 90% of the dangerous seaquakes.  We think this is associated with magma chambers below a particular segment.  There is something special happening to create danger for diving whales but we have not yet found what that might be.

Too might also consider these other facts:

(1)  Submarine earthquakes have been occurring in the backyard of pelagic whales since long before the beginning of recorded history.

(2) Pod strandings of pelagic whales predate recorded history.

(3)  Sea bottom earthquakes with a strong vertical component can generate a series of pressure changes in the water column estimated by Navy seismologists to exceed 14,500 pounds per square inch (280 db re 1 microPa) one meter off the seafloor.  The largest estimate ever place on a shockwave above the epicenter of an undersea earthquake was 100,000 pounds per square inch (298 db re 1 microPa) by scientists with Goddard Space Flight Center.

(4)  Rapid and excessive changes in ambient pressure presents a serious danger to any air-breathing animal who dive under the surface, including baleen whales, seals, walruses, and etc.

(5)  Undersea earthquakes have never been investigated as a possible cause of mass strandings.

(6)  The mystery of why whales mass strand remains unsolved.

It would be relatively easy to proved the seaquake theory.  If mass strandings can be predicted with reasonable accuracy using earthquake data three weeks in advance, then the seaquake theory should be received as the leading hypothesis to explain mass strandings. Accurate prediction can be made with a little help from the scientific community.  The major stumbling block lies in the interpretation of the satellite data on ocean currents.  Another important factor in predicting strandings is to including the help of experts on the location of habitats of various species.  You got to know where the pods are located in order to predict the likelihood of an earthquake encounter.  Another big boost to predicting stranding would be to secure spectrographs of various earthquakes as recorded by hydrographic listening stations.  Records from T-wave stations would also be a value.

Many thanks for your probing questions.

Warm Regards,
Dave Williams