Just to let you know that there are a couple of places left on this workshop.
Regards
COSmino
www.cosmino.org

LONDON, UK
‘FROM THE SHAMAN TO THE ACTOR’
A practical and theoretical workshop with Rachel Karafistan PhD and Professor Brian Bates

Tribal shamans are the original inspiration for many aspects of artistic creativity. This workshop reconnects the timeless power and insights of the shaman with the demands of contemporary performance. Drawing from exercises from both eastern & western performance trainings, this workshop will relocate the tacit wisdom of the shaman in the work of the actor and, more generally, in our lives. The workshop will feature a shamanic journey and a talk by Brian Bates.
For professional performers and interested public both.

Rachel Karafistan:
Rachel is a performer, teacher, psychologist and director based in Berlin. In 2001 she completed her PhD research into Shamanic dimensions within contemporary theatre practice and has published her work in New Theatre Quarterly. Rachel has been running workshops exploring the connections between the actor and the shaman in both the UK and abroad for the past 10 years. She trained extensively with a wide range of theatre practitioners and companies including Odin Teatret, Kathryn Hunter, Philippe Gaulier and was an actor with internationally acclaimed Polish company, Teatr Biuro Podrozy from 2000-2003. Rachel has taught extensively throughout the UK, in particular at the University of Leeds where she was a Lecturer in Theatre and internationally in Europe, Brasil and the USA. She annually directs a site specific, outdoor performance for Greenwich Theatre, London and she is the director of Beintheworkfest (Berlin International Theatre Workshop Festival) which runs annually in May. At present, Rachel is a visiting professor at the University of Adam Mickiewicz in Poznan, Poland. Rachel’s company, COSmino are currently devising their sixth production.

Brian Bates:
Professor Brian Bates is a psychologist, novelist, playwright, theatre director and honorary shaman of the Worldwide Indigenous Network of tribal Elders. At the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art he pioneered shamanic acting training, and directed acclaimed productions including ‘The Body Project’ exploring the actor’s intimate life experiences of their body; Marlowe’s ‘Doctor Faustus’ using magical spells, symbols and movement to induce a spiritually-charged state of consciousness for actors and audience, and his own adaptation of Hermann Hesse’s classic novel Steppenwolf in which expressionistic theatre (and the most lighting changes ever at RADA!) took the audience into the nightmare and inspiration of the collective unconscious. Brian runs workshops exploring the ‘ancient wisdom for today’ of early medieval Europe, using ancient healing spells, fairy tales and myths as catalysts for personal inspiration and creating theatre. He has trained many notable actors for theatre and film including winners of BAFTA and Laurence Olivier awards, and Academy Award ‘Oscars’ winners Kenneth Branagh and Ralph Fiennes. He is also author of six international books, including ‘The Way of the Actor’, about the inner psychological life of the creative performer; ‘The Human Face’ (with John Cleese) about the power to transform us inherent in each of the 6 billion unique faces on the planet; and his bestselling novel ‘The Way of Wyrd’, now published in many languages around the world, which is based on a one-thousand years-old manuscript in the British Museum documenting the initiation into magic of a shaman from ancient England. Brian is currently Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Sussex, England, where where he has supervised numerous PhD’s on the psychology of shamanism. Currently he is engaged on a worldwide project – ‘The Council of Elders’ – working closely with tribal elders and medicine people to protect and document their knowledge.

Fee: £95 – places are limited so please book early.
Venue:
Jackson’s Lane, 269a Archway Road London N6 5AA
Map: http://www.jacksonslane.org.uk/sections.php?id=location_map
Times: Saturday 6 March 2010: 12.30 – 19.30
Contact: Cherie Karafistan
email: [log in to unmask]
www.cosmino.org

______________ To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list ______________