Hi Numpeng, Sreenath, and all,

I am applying my PhD in Theatre Education in Singapore, and I am also interested to pursue further inquiries on how one may use psychophysical and cross-cultural theatre to develop for actors training. Although my specific actors training is anchored along the lines of developing the autonomous actor; ie. an actor who is able to create, self-direct, and solo perform.

Firstly, my definitions of psychophysical is build on late Stanislavskian acting research work that is further developed by theatre practitioners such as Grotowski, Barba and Zarrilli. In simple terms, psychophysical means the body and mind embodiment of the actor, as opposed to the notion of psychologically driven acting. It suggests that the actor's presence on stage stretches beyond the confines of the psychological.

Secondly, my cross-cultural theatre research is focused on the reconnection of classical Asian theatre systems of Beijing Opera, Kutiyattam, Noh and Wayang Wong with contemporary acting approaches. I feel that contemporary acting history is very short, and despite having lived and worked in Shanghai, Singapore and the UK under various directors, I sense a great limitation in modern day acting approaches, in developing/articulating languages/processes/ways to support the acting work required today, articulating stories from a world that is getting smaller due to globalisation and digital technology.

I was contemplating Sreenath's queries, and I thought, while Stanislavski mentioned that, “Human life is so subtle, so complex and multifaceted, that it needs an incomparably large number of new, still undiscovered “isms” to fully express it fully”, one common problem encountered for multicultural theatre research today, as highlighted by Jacqueline Lo and Helen Gilbert was that, “Even when intercultural exchanges take place within the ‘non-West,’ they are often mediated through western culture and/or economics” (Lo & Gilbert, 2002: 36-7). Looking from the classical Asian theatre systems' perspectives, they suggest different psychophysical acting processes even among themselves (Beijing Opera, Kutiyattam, Noh and Wayang Wong).

As such, while psychophysical and the cross-cultural investigations are not exactly addressing the same specificities, psychophysical acting investigations also invite us to question, "To what degree are we actively making an environment which encourages critical inquiry and reflection, not only about “art” in the narrow sense but also concerning the material circumstances and issues implicit in the art we make?... Failing that, we abrogate our responsibility not only to train students’ acting skills but also to educate them about what they are being trained to perform" (Zarrilli, 2006: 3). To me, they seem like two different threads of research that is intrinsically intertwined. And as with Numpeng, I am very interested to hear from you with regards to pointing me towards current relevant literature in this field, or if you employ 'psychophysical' or 'cross-cultural actor training' as terms within your own work.

Hope to hear from you.

Thank you very much.

Best Wishes,
Chris Lee Ban Loong

"a contrite heart"

The SCUDD Conference this year will be hosted by the University of Lincoln - 26-27 March
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[

I don't simply understand the distinction between "psychophysical" and "corss-cultural" in actor training. Do you consider "psychophysical" as the integral element/s of the art of acting or do you have some different definition attached to this term. And also how do you classify "cross-cultural" different from "psychophysical"? Where does this dichotomy come from?

***************************
Dr. Sreenath Nair
Senior Lecturer
Lincoln School of Humanities & Performing Arts
University of Lincoln
Brayford Pool Campus
Lincoln, LN6 7TJ
United Kingdom