Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:00:34 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Representation of Stand-Up Comedy and Discourses of Offence
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear List,

My current research involves looking at discourses of offence in stand-up comedy. As part of this I am hoping to compile a list of performance (to include plays, television, films, live performance and any other performative media) in which stand-up comedy is represented, and its potential for causing offence is part of the subject of the work. So, examples may include:

Trevor Griffith’s 1975 play Comedian’s (‘that’s a joke that hates women’)

Bob Fosse’s 1974 film Lenny (‘For those of you who were offended by my material, I’d like to … piss on you’)

I am also interested in stand-up routines where offensiveness is part of the subject of the performance, so examples would include Brendan Burns’ recent show  I Suppose THIS is offensive now!

I am sure there must be lots of examples, but sadly my research skills seem inadequate to track down many more. I would be hugely grateful for any suggestions.

Regards

Tim Miles

(British Institute for Humour Research, University of Surrey)

______________ To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list ______________

______________ To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list ______________