~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colleagues might be interested in a newly published book, 'Blood, Sweat & Theory', which explores interrogative creative practice as research outcome. There's a strong focus in the book on the role of practical work as part of PhD research and submission.

I'm unable to forward the flyer via SCUDD, but details of the book can be found at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Sweat-Theory-Research-Performance/dp/1907471049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259706469&sr=1-1

Back-of-book information is as follows:

Practice-based research is the default approach to postgraduate activity in Drama,
Theatre and Performance. Yet it is only recently beginning to yield any rigorous
theory-based guides for researchers, practitioners, supervisors and mentors. As a major
contribution to the field this book is a vital ‘How To’ (and ‘How Not To’) guide, which
identifies the features, attitudes, principles and skills of practice-based research across a
range of countries and contexts, forms and applications…including a number of
successful PhD projects.

Blood, Sweat & Theory reviews research-informed practice and practice-informed research
in sections which:

analyse key concepts • locate practice-based research within historical, aesthetic and
educational settings • challenge received ideas of practice as thesis • distinguish research
from reflection and feelings from findings • push practice-based research into new areas
of critical inquiry • suggest strategies from first proposal through to submission.

The book includes case studies on Applied Drama, Choreography, Multimedia and Digital Art, Solo and Group Performance, Acting, Directing, Performance Writing, Musical Composition and Staging, Mise en Scene, Identity, Autobiography and Autoethnography, Site-Specific Work, Installation Art and Narrative Drama.

Case studies contributed by Hala Al-Yamani, Annette Arlander, Johannes Birringer, Elena Cologni, Robert Germay, Helka-Maria Kinnunen, Yves Knockaert, Lee Miller, Felix Nobis, Allan Owens, Helen Paris, Yoni Prior, Leena Rouhiainen and Joanne ‘Bob’ Whalley.

Best wishes,

John Freeman
School of Arts
Brunel University