~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apologies for cross-listings

Irish Society for Theatre Research

Annual Conference

Trinity College, Dublin

23-24 April 2010

Performance Studies Working Group:

2010 Call for Papers:

Performance Studies has established itself internationally as a
discipline which embraces the plurality of performance both in everyday
living and in the performed text; the presentational nature of our
embodied culture and in the theatricality of ballet, opera, theatre and
sport.  From the X Factor to Usain Bolt; from the performance of St.
Patrick's Day to the performance of the Irish Rugby Team, all can be
analysed through the prism of Schechner's 'as' performance, or Victor
Turner's ritual or Erving Goffman's frames.

The proposed topic for this year's meeting of the Performance Studies
Working Group (23-24 April 2010) is the Performance of Grief,
particularly within an Irish context. This year's meeting aims to both
appraise/evaluate current research practices, and to identify/apply new
theoretical orientations to the use of Performance Studies as a
methodology for the analysis of Irish culture and performance.

Papers and performances investigating current research and/or practice
in the performance of grief in an Irish or international context are
invited. These may be illustrated through examples of individuals,
performance events, theatrical contexts, documents, institutions,
archives, audiences, social conditions etc.

Potential topics and themes include, but are not limited to:

*        Traditional aspects of the performance of rituals around grief
in Ireland

*        Ritual aspects of funerals in Ireland

*        Funeral orations

*        The performativity of the grieving process

*        Wakes in Ireland

*        Public grief in contemporary mediatised Ireland

*        On-line grieving

*        Grieving and funerals in performance texts

*        The performance of grief in a political context

*        Sites of performing grief

*        Memorials as performance or re-enactment of grief

Proposal Submissions:

Proposals should outline the theoretical framework as well as a
description of how that approach is employed to investigate a particular
case study, trend or topic. Abstracts (no more than 500 words or 5
minutes of film on CDROM) and a brief (150 words) biography including
name, affiliation if applicable, and email address should be directed to
working group conveners Lisa Fitzpatrick ([log in to unmask])
and Fiona Fearon ([log in to unmask]) by Friday 5 February 2010.

All selected participants presenting papers must commit to submitting
final conference drafts of their papers by Monday 12 April 2010.
Articles longer than conventional conference papers are welcome (up to a
maximum of 7000 words). Those submitting practice should submit a
document of their choice (text, CDROM, etc), which outlines the
parameters of the project and of the research under discussion.
Participants will be expected to read /watch all colleagues' drafts
before the working group session meets and all participants must become
members of ISTR.

ISTR Performance Studies Working Group

The Performance Studies Working Group aims to explore ways to analyse
performance in its multiplicity of elements and meanings, taking into
account the process of our own spectatorship as it is informed by the
theory and history of theatre, dance, music, and performance studies.

Participation is encouraged from practitioners, critics and academics in
the disciplines of theatre and drama, digital technology, and
performance art.

All material is circulated among participants in advance of the annual
ISTR conference. Each paper or performance is briefly summarized rather
than presented by their author, before being discussed in detail by the
rest of the working group. Any ISTR member can submit a proposal or
participate in our panel discussions. It must be emphasised that we will
welcome papers in all stages of development including early drafts and
works-in-progress as the provision of feedback is a crucial dynamic to
the working group. Indeed, it is our hope and expectation that
participants will continue to engage with one another and to exchange
material for future development long after our session draws to a close.

Dr. Lisa Fitzpatrick

Lecturer in Drama

School of Creative Arts

University of Ulster at Magee