Funding and Scholarships for Postgraduate MA & MPhil/ PhD candidates
Department of Drama and Theatre, Royal Holloway

Royal Holloway's Drama Department is one of the top research departments in the UK and has an international reputation for excellence. Its academic staff are all active researchers, working at the cutting edge of the drama, theatre and performance studies. Our size and ambition allows us to range very widely in the cultures and histories of performance and the diversity of our work is shown in a lively and wide-ranging series of books, workshops, conferences, performances, research groups, journals, papers and appearances in the print and broadcast media. Our work has consistently achieved top ratings in all national assessments of academic research and we attract top research students from across the world. Our students take a leading role in our active research culture, co-organising events, collaborating in  the activities of our varied range of research groups and projects, and sharing their own research with staff and other peers.

In the latest Research Assessment Exercise (2008) the department achieved an overwhelming majority of rankings in the top two categories, demonstrating research activity of world-leading 4* and International 3* significance and originality.

AHRC scholarships:  This year, the Department of Drama and Theatre at Royal Holloway College is pleased to announce that we have available THREE MPhil/PhD Arts and Humanities Research Council block grant scholarships. Application forms for study are available through the Graduate School website at: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Graduate-School/

It is the intention of the Department to offer ONE of these scholarships in partnership with the School of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures. The Department is keen to build on the international focus of its research, and shares many interests and research agendas with colleagues in SMLLC. Candidates are invited to consider framing potential projects across the Departments: staff research interests are outlined at: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Modern-Languages/For-Staff/ Areas of potential interest for this award may include, but are not limited to: representation and performativity in early Modern Europe; icon, image and emblem; aspects of film and theatricality; the 'gothic' in performative cultures; European Naturalism.

Deadline for receipt for applications: 26 February 2010.

The following College scholarships and awards are also available for application to support MPhil/ PhD study. Applicants must have been accepted onto the programme, and should submit the following, along with a supporting statement from their proposed supervisor, by 26 February 2010, to be considered for these awards.

1.      Reid Scholarship (HEU Fee Waiver + £13,250)

Bids should include: the candidate’s CV, details of proposed area of study (research proposal) and a supporting statement (max. one side of A4).  Awards will be made at the discretion of the Dean.

2.      College Maintenance Award (£6,000)

Bids should include the candidate’s CV, details of proposed area of study (research proposal) and a supporting statement  (max. one side of A4).

3.      Crossland Scholarship (£5,000)

Bids should include the candidate's CV, details of proposed are of study (research proposal) and a supporting statement (max. one side of A4).

4.      College Research Scholarships – (HEU Fee Waiver)

Applications for all MPhil/PhD bursaries and scholarships should be submitted by 26 February 2010.

Candidates MUST have an accepted place on the MPhil/PhD programme for 2010-11 in order to be considered for awards. Application forms for study are available through the Graduate School website at:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Graduate-School/

You are warmly invited to contact Drama and Theatre staff directly regarding potential supervisions, and to discuss your research proposals. For staff research interests, and contact details, please see the Drama webpages at: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Drama/staff/index.html

For general queries, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies in Drama, Dr Sophie Nield, at [log in to unmask], or the Graduate School team, through the website: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/graduate-school/Contact/

Postgraduate MA Awards

The Department is also seeking to award two AHRC Masters level scholarships, and one College Masters Scholarship (HEU fee waiver). The deadline for applications is Friday 12 March 2010. Please contact the Drama MA Co-ordinator, Dr Chris Megson, at [log in to unmask], for information.

______________ To join, leave or suspend list postings, visit www.scudd.org.uk/list ______________