Julian said:

> Dan Brickley wrote:
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > Thanks for the outreach. Dublin Core has long been involved in the
> > HTML/metadata discussions, and was one of the original sources of
> > requirements for RDF. Can you suggest exactly which documents members
> > of the DC community should most usefully be reviewing?
>
> Maybe it would make sense to start with
> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/>, which is not up-to-date,
> but at least gives an overview over the changes.
>
> The actual HTML5 spec is at
> <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html>.

Hi Julian,

I had started last week to look at some of the issues around metadata in HTML 5 and the questions they seem to raise for DC-HTML, so I'd be happy to contribute to this, preferably with Dan and Andy's help. I'm currently trying to write up some thoughts/questions in a blog post.

> >> One thing to note that the current HTML5 specification
> >> has removed the "profile" attribute of the "head" element,
> >> which dc-html seems to use. The removal of "profile"
> >> is under discussion in W3C HTML WG as ISSUE-55.
> >> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/55
> >
> > That's good to know about. There has been talk here (DC-land) of
> > moving towards more strongly recommending RDFa as a strategy for
> > HTML-inline metadata. Currently XHTML is the only option there. If
> > profile is taken away, that might force the migration to happen more
> > hastily. Can you summarise the status of RDFa-in-HTML?
>
> Work in progress (new WD coming soon), IMHO. I'm sure Manu Sporny can
> give a summary.
>
> With respect to a potential migration it might be interesting to work
> on
> a generic mapping tool that would map DC-XHTML to XHTML+RDFa, just in
> order to test the feasibility.

Yes, that's a good idea.

Currently, the DC_HTML profile makes use of a GRDDL profile transformation (an XSLT stylesheet), and that transform outputs RDF/XML. It should be relatively easy to create a similar transform which instead generates an XHTML+RDFa document (I see from your follow up you've already created one!).

Incidentally - and this isn't really central to the issue at hand - this did raise a GRDDL question in my mind: currently, like every other GRDDL transform I've seen, the DC-HTML profile transform generates RDF/XML. But I'm not sure whether GRDDL requires a transform to generate RDF/XML output, or whether any XML syntax for RDF (e.g. XHTML+RDFa) is permitted.

Pete