Apologies for cross posting, but some of your students may be interested in this programme.

The University of Edinburgh, Interdisciplinary MSc THE CITY

Inquiries are welcome from prospective students interested in the interdisciplinary, graduate programme in global metropolitan studies hosted by the School of Arts, Culture & Environment and the School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh

Theme 2010/11 Marginality: http://www.ace.ed.ac.uk/city/

What is the city? A form to be designed? An image to be projected? An object to be conserved? A community to be resourced? A structure to be diagnosed? A problem to be solved? An event to be narrated? And how do we approach the city? By submitting to it, celebrating, resisting, subverting, jamming? We invite applicants with backgrounds in the humanities, social sciences, or creative arts, including architecture, fine art, human geography, cultural studies, sociology and planning. Past students have come from a wide range of academic backgrounds and have been drawn to the programme by the opportunities it offers to work on the contemporary city in an interdisciplinary way, and to explore critical, textual and extra-textual (visual, material, performative) forms of thinking and research. Each MSc The City cycle is oriented around a theme relevant to contemporary urbanism as a way of framing the collective aspects of the programme. A new cycle begins this year with a focus on the sites, issues and challenges of urban MARGINALITY.

Theme 2010/11 Marginality: 2010-11 marks the beginning of the City Programme’s exploration of the theme of urban marginality. This theme will be the focal point for our investigations and speculations and will provide the imaginative and moral infrastructure for our efforts. The conjunction of mounting misery and stupendous affluence is clearly evident in the cities of advanced and advancing societies throughout the globe. Understanding urban marginality and bridging urban divides are central concerns of our time: it was the focus for the International Architecture Biennale Rotterdam 2009 and is the theme for the 2010 United Nation’s Habitat World Urban Forum.

Programme: The City Programme is structured around two core seminar courses and two core studio courses. The studio courses are structured as problem-based pedagogies in which students from differing disciplinary backgrounds work collaboratively on the ‘Marginality’ theme. Students also elect two Option courses, one in each semester, from the offerings listed below. After completing the coursework and having received approval to proceed, students undertake the ‘Urban Research Project’, an individually supervised research dissertation.

http://www.ace.ed.ac.uk/city/

Professor Jane M Jacobs
Chair in Cultural Geography
Institute of Geography